41 people were killed in twin bomb blasts as claimed by the Islamic State group on Thursday on a busy shopping street in a Beirut stronghold of the Shiite movement Hezbollah, the worst such attack in years.Speaking from the scene, Health Minister Wael Abou Faour said more than 200 people had been wounded, many of them in serious condition.The blasts hit a narrow shopping street in the Burj al-Barajneh neighborhood that is also home to a street market.
IS claimed the blasts in an online statement. “Soldiers of the Caliphate” detonated explosives planted on a motorbike in an area frequented by Shiites, using a derogatory term to refer to the sect, the statement said. “After the apostates gathered in the area, one of the knights of martyrdom detonated his explosive belt in the midst of them,” the statement added.
175 total views, 1 views today